The menopause is unfortunately something all us ladies have to go through usually between the ages of 45-55 but can be earlier or later as nobody is the same.
So how does the menopause effect our skin?
When the female body stops producing oestrogen during the menopause it can cause a number of symptoms including hot flushes, night sweats, mood changes, acne, dryness, pigmentation and sensitivity. Isn’t it great being a woman?
The way it effects your skin will be unique to you but most people find they have have some of these skin concerns:
- Less plumpness to the skin as collagen and elastin production slows down.
- Your skin may feel dryer as the oil glands don’t produce as much.
- You may have irritation or sensitivity as your skin thins out and can therefore be more susceptible to UV rays and environmental factors.
- Some people experience patches of pigmentation as your melanin production changes throughout the menopause.
- Lots of ladies find it difficult to sleep so you may have puffy eyes and dark circles from toxin build up in the lymph nodes.
- Acne is also very common during the menopause as your hormone levels fluctuate it causes a hormonal imbalance upsetting the skin.
Now we know what might happen to our skin during the menopause, what can we do to try and help some of these skin concerns?
There are many things you can do to try and help including eating a balanced healthy diet, regular exercise, trying to get good amount of sleep, HRT and natural herbal remedies.
If you want some advice about what you should be using on your skin, one of our Elemis Skin Therapists will be more than happy to put together a skincare routine to suit your skin, so don’t hesitate to ask!
We will be hosting another Menopause Skin Clinic soon so if you’d like to come do send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org